Chapel of Our Lady of Calvary
This Chapel at Pali Hill, today stands decrepit and no longer used for public worship. However, at one time people flocked to this shrine and prayed with great fervour.
The Chapel was built in 1890 by the Rev. Manoel Anthony Fonseca and his brother Peter John, for the convenience of the Catholics living in the neighbouring villages. It was altogether a private Chapel served from St. Andrew’s Church. The slope of the hill was dotted with crosses representing the fourteen Stations of the Cross inaugurated in 1902. This devotion drew scores of people during Lent and continued until the year 1968. Around this time the Chapel underwent major changes and the owners, the Fonsecas, donated some artifacts of the Chapel, to St. Anne’s Church. Several statues, crosses, candlestands, flower vases, a huge crucifix and even the wooden communion rails were brought to St. Anne’s and placed in the Church. A very touching and significant memoir of the Calvary Chapel is the poignant statue of Our Lady of Sorrows, which stands at the base of the steps leading to St. Anne’s Church.
Residents from Pali Pathar as well as from the adjoining areas stretching right down to the present Linking Road and beyond, have nostalgic memories of their frequent trips uphill, to light candles and pray the Rosary to Our Lady of Sorrows for solace in their stressful lives; it was also known to be a miraculous statue.